FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Who are the East Africa Citizens?
Refers to the citizens of Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda
Who are the Residents?
Refers to the residents of Kenya only
Who is a Child?
A person above 3 years but below 18 years
Who is a student?
Is an individual between 18 and 23 years from a recognized institution with valid student identification document, traveling as a group and sponsored by the learning institution.
What is student rate?
This is a rate applicable to students traveling as a group for education purpose. Students on personally arranged holidays do not enjoy the rate. The rate is approved by the parks and reserves department. A minimum of 2 week notice is required for authorization. Request should be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org highlighting the pax number, area(s) to be visited, itinerary, college letter and any other relevant information.
What is the camping fee for students?
Students pay the applicable adult camping fee
What is a daily fee?
This is the fee for single entry and is valid for a maximum of 24 hours
Which are the other parks?
Other parks include Marsabit, Oldonyo Sabuk,Kakmega, Mwea, Ruma, Saiwa Swamp, South Turkana, Mt. Longonot, Kora, Sibiloi, Central & Southern Island, Shimba Hills, Chyullu and Ndere Island
What are bandas/ guest houses?
They are self catering accommodation within the park. They have different accommodation capacity and are located in strategic areas within the park.
Which is the booking procedure?
Bookings are done through the KWS head quarters. The reservation office makes a tentative booking on request which should be confirmed within 48 hours by paying a 50% deposit of the total amount. Reservations are on first pay first reserved basis.
What are the prices for the guest houses and bandas?
Each banda/guest house is priced differently depending with the capacity and the visitor category. There are two prices; regular and holiday. Holiday price is applicable during the months of April, August and December. (Link to rate card)
Does KWS offer discount to Tour operator and groups.
Our prices are gazetted. We do not offer discounts neither do we have a rate for organized groups.
What is Mountain Package?
This is a three day mountain climbing package inclusive of park entry and camping fees.
What is the park entry system used in KWS parks?
Six parks namely; Amboseli, Aberdare, Lake Nakuru, Nairobi, Tsavo East and Tsavo West use Safari card system. All other parks use paper tickets.
What is a Safari Card?
It is an upgrade of the Smart Card. It is a plastic card about the size of a credit card, with an embedded microchip that can be loaded with data, used for electronic cash payments, and other applications, and then periodically refreshed for additional use.
What is required for a Tour Company to get a Safari Card?
- An Application inform of writing for registration in the Safari Card system. This needs to be accompanied by an application to obtain a Safari Card
- A copy of the Company PIN, copy of the Company Certificate of Incorporation and KATO Certificate if any.
- A fee of Ksh 1200/- besides the park entry fee is charged to obtain a permanent card.
Mode of payment of park entry?
Currently we accept cash.Personal cheques are not acceptable
Do you accept electronic cards?
We accept payment by debit card and credit cards
Is it possible for a tour company to pay using cheques?
Yes, it is possible only after the company has been authorized to do so. To be considered, the company should apply and attach certificate of incorporation, company pin, and KATO certificate.
Does KWS organize transport to visit the parks?
Yes, KWS has a bus shuttle service to Nairobi, Aberdare, Tsavo, Lake Nakuru and Hell’s Gate National Parks. Some of our vehicles are available for hire subject to their availability.
What is an annual pass?
This is a pass given to different visitor categories who wish to access the park frequently. The pass is usually personalized and is charged different fees depending on the visitor category.
Is it possible to have an event/ function in a KWS parks
Yes, it is possible to have a weddings, company, team building and other social events at the picnic sites within the park.
What are best times to view animals in the park?
The best time to view animals is early morning or late evening
How can I obtain the services of a KWS ranger?
You can obtain the services of a ranger by contacting the warden officially. Although it may be possible to organize for the services of a ranger upon your arrival in the park, advance bookings are preferred by the warden, and best to ensure availability. Please provide these details when booking:
- Date of arrival
- Length of visit
- Numbers in your group
Rangers must be collected from the park headquarters.
Does KWS hire out tents?
KWS hires out tents at Nairobi, Ol Donyo, Hells Gate, Chyullu, Saiwa swamp, Mt Elgon, Kisite Mpunguti, Tsavo West, Tsavo East, Amboseli, Shimba, Kisumu Impala, Ruma and Lk Nakuru National Parks. Tents are also available at the KWS Naivasha Station
What is the security situation in the parks and reserves?
It is safe to visit our park and reserves.
What is a public campsite?
Public campsite is a camping area located in the park and has the following:
- Facilities provided include lavatories, water and showers
- Daily camping fee, park entry fee and vehicle fee is payable after every 24 hours.
- No advance booking is required.
- Campers will need to carry firewood, and camping equipment.
- Campers are expected to maintain vigilance. Any special arrangements for security should be arranged with the park well in advance.
- Guides depending on the availability should be arranged with the Park Warden in advance
What is a special campsite ?
Special Campsites are camping areas located in the parks. The following should be noted while booking:
- Toilets and showers not provided: Campers should provide their own ‘eco-friendly’’ facilities.
- Reservation Fee of Ksh. 7,500/=
- Daily fee also payable (by Smart card where applicable)
- A cancellation fee of Ksh. 7,500/= will be charged for cancellation. It will be deducted from deposit.
- Reservation only confirmed if a deposit or full amount is paid
- No Water provided. Campers will need to carry containers and fetch from sources within the park or may bring their own.
- No firewood provided. Please bring your own. Do not collect from the park.
- No Ranger provided for Security.