Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) is a State Corporation whose responsibility is to manage and conserve wildlife in Kenya as provided for under the Wildlife Conservation and Management Act, 2013.
Following amendments to the Wildlife Conservation and Management Act, 2013 vide the Statute Law (Miscellaneous Amendments) Act of 2018, the Board of Trustees has resolved to re-advertise the position and therefore invites applications from dynamic, innovative, self-driven and highly qualified Kenyan citizens who wish to be considered for the position of Director General, KWS. Those who applied previously and feel they qualify need not apply again.
The Director-General shall be the Chief Executive Officer of the Service, responsible for the day to day management of the affairs of the Service, overall leadership, implementation of the Service’s strategic goals and the management of its resources including giving direction and leadership to the achievement of the Service’s mission, the development of its strategy and the attainment of its annual goals and objectives.
He/she will be responsible to the Board of Trustees in:
- Providing strategic direction and leadership to KWS in order to achieve corporate goals.
- Overseeing implementation of corporate plans and strategies based on the KWS’s business philosophy, mission, vision and core values.
- Facilitating operations and administration of the Board of Trustees, interfacing between the board and staff and assisting the board’s evaluation of achievements of corporate objectives.
- Overseeing financial management and investment undertakings by ensuring that sound policies and practices are adopted for optimal utilization and returns.
- Overseeing effective management of human resources for optimal productivity through policies and strategies that attract and retain qualified and competent staff.
- Overseeing effective management of physical and material assets for optimal returns from the investment.
- Providing strategic linkages with the corporate world, business community, government agencies and other social partners for the benefit of the KWS.
- Providing leadership in business growth and customer service in line with the corporate business plan and strategy.
- Ensuring corporate compliance with all statutory, legal, social and regulatory requirements in the execution of its business strategies.
- Overseeing development and implementation of corporate social responsibility initiatives and ensuring that the KWS image is well projected and protected.
- Managing corporate change through adopting policies and strategies that will ensure organizational effectiveness and business survival.
The ideal candidate should:-
- Be a Kenyan citizen
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in Natural Resources Management, Finance, Business or Strategic Management from a university recognized in Kenya
- Have at least fifteen (15) years’ professional experience in a related field at management level
- Be a person of high integrity and meets the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya 2010.
- Demonstrate prudent financial management skills.
- Demonstrated track record of strong, strategic leadership and management skills.
- Have exceptional negotiation skills with capacity to engage with local, regional and international organizations.
- Have excellent communication, presentation, strong interpersonal and analytical skills, organizational and team leadership capabilities.
- Posses demonstrable change management leadership qualities and transformative capability.
- Be a self-driven, innovative, dynamic and capable of working under pressure with minimum supervision.
- Have the capability to mobilize financial resources for the Service.
- Demonstration of understanding of Kenya’s Conservation Sector is an added advantage
Terms of Service and Remuneration
The successful candidate will serve on a three (3) years’ contract, renewable once subject to satisfactory performance and delivery of set performance targets and outcomes. The remuneration attached to this position shall be determined in accordance with the provisions of Section 5 (3) of the State Corporations Act, Cap.446.
If you believe you meet the above requirements and are interested in this position, please send your application together with a detailed curriculum vitae indicating current and expected salary, names and contacts of at least three (3) referees, day time contacts and notice period required to take up the appointment to the postal address below so as to reach us not later than Monday 25th February, 2019 by 4.30pm.
Board of Trustees,
Kenya Wildlife Service,
P. O. Box 40241 – 00100,
Or emailed to: email@example.com
In addition, applicants are required to attach; copies of certificates/testimonials, copy of National ID/Passport. All the short-listed candidates will be required to obtain and be in possession of the following documents at the interview stage:-
- Police Clearance Certificate.
- Tax Compliance Certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority.
- Clearance from Higher Education Loans Board (Where applicable).
- Clearance from Kenya Credit Reference Bureau.
- Clearance from Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission.
KWS is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and gender equality within the organization. Applicants comprising persons with disability, women and those from marginalized areas are encouraged to apply.
Applications without relevant qualifications, copies of documentation/details as sought for will not be considered. Any form of canvassing shall lead to automatic disqualification. Only short-listed candidates shall be contacted.