“Island of Serenity and Beauty”
Located on Lake Victoria, this island is a haven for birds. Covered mostly in grassland, Ndere Island provides beautiful scenic views of the Homa hills to the south, Mageta Island to the east and the glimpses of Kampala in Uganda beyond the south west horizon. The lake shore supports a wide variety of animals including hippos, monitor lizards, Nile crocodiles, several fish species, snakes, baboons, impalas, the rare sitatunga antelopes, water bucks, zebras and warthogs. Over 100 different species of birds can be seen here including African fish eagles, black headed gonoleks and grey headed kingfishers.
- The island has beautiful sceneries with a distant view of Homa hills to the south, Mageta island to the East and the imagination of Kampala beyond south west horizon.
- The air and lake breeze leave one with feeling of freshness and buoyancy
Protected Area Type
How to get there
- By road from Kisumu city:Take Kisumu- Bondo road branching left after Holo market or left at Kombewa shopping centre to the park headquarters sandwiched between Asat and Bao beach.The park headquarters is 12km away from this tarmac road.
- By water from Kisumu: It will take about 45min with a speed boat direct from Kisumu city to Ndere island national park.
- The vegetation on the island is predominantly grassland; a pure stand of tall grass of the species loudentia natalensis. This grass takes a brown color when flowering; hence the top of the island is brownish (“Chula rabuor” in dholou).
- The island is interspersed with indigenous tree species and shrubs including dovyalisx, macro calyx, euclea divinorum and Carissa adulis among others.
- Woodland and forest remnant are found on the lower rim of the island almost as extensive as the bushland.Papyrus reeds are common features along the shoreline.
- Lake shores inhabitants include hippopotamus, monitor lizard, Nile crocodile, several fish species and snakes especially pythons, puff adder, aardvark, butterflies and vipers are also evident. We also have troops of baboons, monkeys, impalas, the rare sitatunga antelopes, water bucks, Zebras and warthogs. We have over 100 different species of birds e.g African fish eagle, black headed gonolek,Hamerkop,grey headed kingfisher.
Park Entry Fee
Ndere Island National Park
Non - Resident
Email : email@example.com
Warden: 0774 747 946